Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

India Day 1

I woke up super exhausted this morning from getting sick off the food the previous night and immigration took a long time so all the morning trips left really late. I really spent the time resting on board from lack of sleep the last three days until my FDP this afternoon with my art history teacher, Professor Wilkinson. We went to the original palace of the Cochin king and the jewish synagogue in the older part of Cochin and then got to look at the spices in the newer city area.

I could not take pictures in any of these areas because they are still considered very important sights to the locals but the experience of going into the palace and seeing the entire paintings of Krishna, Shiva and Vishnu were just amazing. The walls in some of the rooms were entirely painted with scenes from the Veda texts describing items like the family of Krishna and Rama. I saw vibrant colors along the walls even though some had faded or been destroyed from the Portugese around the 16th century. The Synagogue was something different. We could not go into the place without our shoes being taken off and we had to leave our bags with the people outside so that we could go in. Inside this synagogue, if you look at the floor, the art on the floor were depictions of nature and buildings which appeared to be Japanese homes which was an odd contrast to all the colors and gold in the room. These tiles were all white with the blue paint what I described. On the ceiling, the items hanging were almost chandelier like, but are made of what I remember him mentioning to be crystal. The way they were made was adopted from the Italians which was completely fascinating. I wish I could take pictures. It was truly amazing to go and just be able to sit in the synagogue and admire the work in the place.

Going to the spice market was an experience in itself because of just how you had to cross the streets and it could be difficult because the cars did not always stop for you. We went to several spice shops and I was just enthralled with how the spices smelled. It was just divine. Different types of cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and numerous other spices. I would love to just buy out that shop but I did not buy anything and I really just want to experience India and learn as much as possible.

Email me with questions!!! miranda.denny.s12@semesteratsea.org J

No comments:

Post a Comment